Bilateral agreements

» About bilateral agreements

Bilateral agreements which are signed between universities, faculties or departments allow student exchange in the frame time specified in the agreement itself. Usually, student exchanges last from one to two semesters in one academic year.

» Application procedure

Students should contact the exchange coordinator at their home university, regarding the application process and any other additional information.

The candidates are chosen by their home institution; afterwards their home coordinators should sent their nominations to the relevant exchange coordinator of the Jagiellonian University.

The application documents should be passed to the coordinator from the International Relations Office of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow. (


The final decision about acceptance belongs to the director of the department/faculty the student is applying to and is made based on the application documents that were sent.

Applicants should apply online and prepare the following documents: 

1. Online Application Form
2. Research plan/ Exchange studies plan/ Motivation letter
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Copy of the passport page with photo
5. Letter of support from home university
6. Copy of the student ID card of home university


These documents should be submitted to International Relations Office (Czapskich 4 
31-110 Kraków, Poland) or directly to the departamental coordinators of the agreement in the relevant Faculty/Institute before the following nominationa and application deadlines:

  • 15 May for autumn semester (starts on October 1st)
  • 30 November for spring semester (starts in the second half of February)

You can find the academic calendar here.

Please notice that the official language of instruction at the JU is Polish. We offer only some courses in foreign languages. More information here

» Legal documents

After the authorities have decided to accept a student, he/she will be provided with an acceptance pack with an official acceptance letter and other practical information regarding living and studying in Krakow.


International students at the Jagiellonian University will be provided with the following documents:

  • Student ID card: a green plastic rectangle card with a photo, a document issued by the unit to which a student has been admitted. It is valid if a hologram is affixed to it for the periods from 1st October to 31st March and from 1st April to 31st October. It entitles its holder to library use, concession fares on public transport in the city, concession rail fares (if owner is under 26 years of age) and to concessions in cultural institutions (theatres, museums, etc).

» Insurance

Jagiellonian University does not provide any health insurance for students.

International students at Jagiellonian University must have a comprehensive health and accident insurance that is valid in Poland throughout the students's stay in Poland.

Jagiellonian University does not provide any health insurance for students !

EU students should have their own insurance valid for the territory of European Union (for example European Health Insurance Card or other).

Students from other countries than from European Union should obtain medical care/health insurance from their country; or hold a European Health Insurance Card; or sign an individual medical care agreement directly with an insurer (e.g. National Health Fund, ul. Batorego 24, call centre: (+48) (12) 19488; Falck, call centre: 19675; PZU Życie S.A., call centre: 0801 111 811, etc.). The monthly cost of individual insurance is about 60 PLN.

» Visa

Visa requirements depend on student's citizenship. Some international students need passport and student visa to enter Poland, while others need a visa if they arrive in Poland with the intention of studying, even if they do not need one to cross the border as a tourists.

For information about visa procedures for non EU citizens please contact the Polish Consulate in your home country.

After registration in International Students Office, the student should register at the Referee of Evidence of Citizens, address: Aleja Powstania Warszawskiego 10.

For visa formalities contact the Department of Citizen Affairs, address: Przy Rondzie 6. 

Please find more details in our Guide for International Students.

» Housing

International students can either find private accommodation or apply for housing with the International Students Office of the Jagiellonian University, who offers places in the student dormitories.

University halls of residence/dormitories

We offer shared (double) rooms available in two dorms: Żaczek (al. 3-go Maja 5) and Piast (ul. Piastowska 47). The cost per person is currently circa 400 PLN per month, including internet access.

Please note that we are not able to offer housing to all international students and the registration is based on a first-come first-serve system. Therefore you should apply for student accommodation as soon as you are accepted to the programme.

Private housing

The cost of rent for private housing ranges between 300 and 2 000 PLN, depending on whether you are sharing a room/flat and with how many people, how far from the centre the flat is, and other room/flat conditions.

Erasmus Student Network, a student organisation at the Jagiellonian University, helps international students with finding a flat or room. For more detailes please visit ESN website or on the ESN Kraków Facebook profile.

» Fees

The admitted students are waved from paying study fees, however this does not always apply to English and Polish language courses. The details of the tuition waving is described in the bilateral agreements, therefore students will have to contact with their agreement coordinator at the home university, or at Jagiellonian University. 


Course offer

» Fact sheet

Here you will find the actual Fact Sheet about mobility at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków


Krzysztof Byrski, MA

Paweł Winiarski, MA

International Students Office
Gołębia 24, room 21,
31-007 Krakow, Poland

phone: (+48 12) 663 1004
           (+48 12) 663 1547
fax: (+48 12) 663 1545